Saturday, May 7, 2011

School week review 5/2-5/6/11

Our school curriculum is from Heart of Dakota .  Evelyn, my oldest is finishing up her 2nd grade year using Bigger Hearts for His Glory.  And Joshua is using Little Hearts For His Glory for his kindergarten year.  Both are so fun and they are just learning leaps and bounds.  Even better is the love of the Lord they get through these guides.  Here is a look at what we've done this week.

This is a picture of Goliath (if you look closely, you will see that my son requested I add blood to his forhead so he would look more like the picture in his bible....what is it with boys and blood..dirt...mud? ).  I didn't measure exactly but since I'm a little (very little) over 5 ft tall, I thought this looked about 4 feet over me....kinda looks about 9 ft tall right?


The children all took turns tossing stones at Goliath shouting "You trust in your sword and your shield, but I TRUST IN THE LORD!".  They actually had pretty good aim and each of the older two hit him.  Lulu tried, but she is little and 9 ft is REALLY tall when you are only about 3 ft tall. 


 

As you can see, Evelyn enjoys joining in on Joshua's lessons as they are a lot of fun.  Here they are doing his Rhyme in Motion.  Often Lulu joins in this too, sometimes she plays her "piano" to provide the music. Lol!  It is a really cute one this week called "God's plan for David"


As much as he is an active little guy, it always surprises me how much he enjoys doing workbooks, perhaps not as much as driving his trucks around the different phonics sounds on the flooror numbers made in tape on the floor, but I think he likes that he is doing something that feels like his sisters "independent work".


I think his handwrittin is coming along quite nicely.

Evelyn started this year struggling with math.  It was awful.  And that is an understatement.  Daily there were tears.  She just didn't get the basic concepts.  After some prayer and talking things over with hubby, we decided to try switching her math to a different curriculum. 

It...has...worked...BEAUTIFULLY for her!  After a year in her new program, she is thriving in math, so much so that it is now one of her favorite subjects!  Honestly, I wouldn't have thought it possible.  In the beginning of the year, she had a hard time with basic addition and place value.  She is now breezing through 4 digit addition problems with carrying, 3 digit substraction with borrowing and simple multiplication.    So proud of her!


                                                     Her cursive is also coming along nicely.




In History, we are reading about Benjamin Franklin.  Here is her history notebooking page. The copied verse is Job 37:11-12 and her picture is Franklin's experiment with a kite and key attracting electricity. 



2 comments:

  1. I'm visiting from the Heart of Dakota Message Board. We are using LHFHG now, too. We just started, so it is fun to see what we have to look forward to. I'm curious as to which math curriculum you switched to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mandy,
    I know you will just love Little Hearts! This is my second time through it and I am enjoying it just as much this time as I did the first time!

    I switched from Singapore over to Horizons for math. The spiral method used in Horizons is working much better for my dd.

    ReplyDelete